Thursday, September 06, 2018

2018 NFL PREDICTIONS


I’ve been lax in doing this the past couple of years, and I think it’s boiled down to my Broncos winning Super Bowl 50 and not wanting to try and predict where they’d go. But with some (cautious) optimism for 2018, plus the fact that there are no hard-and-fast favorites, in my opinion, I figured I’d weigh in on what might happen in the NFL this year.

I’ll give my predicted order of finish for the season (no records, I really suck at that part) along with commentary, then go into playoff picks. Without further ado:


AFC                                                                                       
EAST
Patriots
Dolphins
Jets
Bills

NORTH
Steelers
Ravens
Bengals
Browns

SOUTH
Jaguars
Texans
Titans
Colts

WEST
Chargers
Broncos
Chiefs
Raiders

NFC
EAST
Eagles
Giants
Cowboys
Redskins

NORTH
Vikings
Bears
Packers
Lions

SOUTH
Falcons
Saints
Panthers
Buccaneers

WEST
Rams
49ers
Seahawks
Cardinals


I sincerely don’t get the love people have for the Ravens this year. The Ravens were pitiful last year on offense, and I don’t see much improvement.  That said, with Le’Veon Bell looking like he’ll hold out til week 10, they could win the division by default. But the Steelers still have Big Ben and AB, and a young, improved D.

Yes, my Broncos pick could be seen as a homer play, but here’s why I did it. First of all, the Raiders have done nothing right since Gruden took over. I relish their trading of Mack and the fact that they have the oldest roster, plus having to learn Gruden’s notoriously complex playbook, signal failure.

As for the Chiefs, Pat Mahomes has had  some nice moments this preseason. But he’s a QB from the Big XII.  No Big XII QB has experienced sustained success at the NFL level this millennium  (Scott Frost did as an NFL safety. And while Sam Bradford has been in the league a good # of years, I would argue he hasn’t been successful).   The Chiefs got rid  of most of their  defensive stars, and Mahomes threw 7 INTs against them in camp. They make have some big plays, but I doubt they can win many games needing to score 35+ points.

The worst-case scenario happened last year: The Eagles won the Super Bowl. I am genuinely surprised Philadelphia wasn’t destroyed as a result, and the fans have gotten more insufferable. But Foles looks like a backup again, and they haven’t looked right this summer. I don’t see a repeat.

The Saints should’ve gone to the NFC title game last year, if not for a fluky play. I argue they would’ve beaten Philly had they done so.  They’ll be in the thick of it this year, but man do the Falcons look good.

The Rams are all in, mostly for the new stadium coming in 2 years, but they came up small in the playoffs, and if they don’t get home field, I don’t see them in the Super Bowl.

The Bears, with Khalill Mack, all of a sudden have a top 5 D in the NFC, if not the league. I think Trubitsky is still a year or two away from being a bona fide top dawg, but his D is better than Aaron Rogers.


PLAYOFFS

AFC TEAMS: Chargers, Patriots,  Jaguars, Steelers, Texans, Ravens
NFC TEAMS: Falcons, Rams, Eagles, Vikings, Saints, 49ers

WILD CARD
AFC: Jaguars over Titans, Steelers over Ravens
NFC: Eagles over 49ers, Saints over Vikings

DIVISIONAL ROUND
AFC: Chargers over Steelers, Jaguars over Steelers
NFC: Saints over Rams, Falcons over Eagles

CHAMPIONSHIP ROUND
AFC: Chargers over Jaguars
NFC: Falcons over Saints

SUPER BOWL LIII

This is my second-worst scenario, as I cannot stand Philip Rivers, aka the Bolo Tie Bandit. But man, do the Chargers have a seemingly complete team. They just can’t start slow like they usually do. They matchup against the Falcons, who become the first team to play in their home stadium in the Super Bowl (which I hoped for last year). And they also avenge their record-breaking loss 2 years ago.

Falcons over Chargers


No comments: