Sunday, January 18, 2015

My Top Films of 2014


With everyone in the movie world releasing their top films of the year lists about this time, I figured I’d add my list to the menagerie. I need to add a caveat, this is a list based off of films I have seen. I still haven’t seen Birdman, Ida or Nightcrawler, for example. I have no desire to see Gone Girl.
These are presented in no particular order.

Captain America: Winter SoldierThis film redefined the genre not only with the political thriller twist and changed the MCU as a whole. Without superheroes it would’ve still made a fine film.
The Raid 2 - This film is not without its flaws, but it has the best action sequences in a movie this century.

Interstellar – People complain about the plot, the oversentimentality and the sound mix(?), but this film is ambitious and gorgeous to look at. It’s also original, which is what Hollywood needs.

Edge of Tomorrow – Stupid title change aside (The film is now called Live, Die, Repeat), this is a sci-fi version of Groundhog Day. It’s also a very original film that has laughs, action and pay offs. It also shows Emily Blunt can do action, which is why she’s rumored to join the MCU…

Snowpiercer – A sci-fi tale with engaging characters detailing a class struggle between the haves and have-nots. Very timely and well done, with a twist those who haven’t read the comic won’t see coming.

Guardians of the Galaxy – A space opera with action, heart, humor and a killer soundtrack. In short, it’s this generation’s Star Wars. I can watch this over and over and not get tired of it.

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes – A film that didn’t show humans for the first 10 minutes or so. I actually gave a crap about the simians and their fate. I was on the edge of my seat in the third act and the ending left me feeling sad. If I had to pick a top film it would be this one. AND it came out in the summer!
I’d love to hear if you agree or disagree. What were your favorite films of 2014?

No comments: