Sunday, February 22, 2015

My Oscar Predictions

I had a lot of fun with my nephew today, so this is getting published a bit later than I like. There were a lot of good films in 2014 and among the nominees, not a lot of clear winners. I'm not going to do all of the categories. Since we're close to the telecast, I'm not going to do much commentary. So without further ado, my predictions for the Oscars:

Best Actor: This may be one of the closest contests. I want to see Michael Keaton win, for many reasons and I think he takes it in a close one (with Eddie Redmayne).

Best Actress: Is anyone talking about the others nominees aside of Julianne Moore?

Best Supporting Actor: The nominations are wins for the guys not named J.K. Simmons.

Best Supporting Actress: For the achievement that Boyhood was, Patricia Arquette takes it.

Cinematography: One of these years Roger Deakins will get that well-deserved statue, but what Emmanuel Lubezki did in Birdman is phenomenal.

Best Original Screenplay: Does the Academy award the statue to 4 writers? This year it does. Birdman takes it.

Best Adapted Screenplay: Hollywood loves musicals and biopics. That means I think Theory of Everything wins, though Whiplash was more original.

Visual Effects: Interstellar could take it for what the film was, and this may also go to Guardians of the Galaxy as a way to reward such a cool, fun film. But Dawn of the Planet of the Apes made us care what happened to a bunch of simians. They win.

Foreign Language Film: Ida was a great achievement, but since its nomination, everyone's talking Leviathan.

Best Song: Everything is Awesome. Need I say more?

Best Animated Film: The film that should win (Lego Movie) wasn't nominated (and is fodder for another post) but Big Hero 6, a fun film along the lines of Guardians of the Galaxy will win.

I'd love to hear who you think will win. Leave a comment below.

No comments: